Helping the Deaf in Serbia

Mon Apr 28 19:46:44 UTC 2003

SignWriting List
April 28, 2003

Dear SignWriting List Members:
I just received this request from Serbia, asking for materials for Deaf
children. Although my funds are tight now, I am going to try to find
some materials to donate to them, by going into my storage area and
finding books that are already printed.

Is there anyone else who can help them? I hope some of you may find it
in your hearts to donate educational materials, no matter which Sign
Language, since something is better than nothing, and nothing, it
appears, is what they have at the moment...

I believe materials from several different Sign Languages would be
great for the people of Serbia. Of course they have their own unique
Sign Language, but learning about others can never hurt, and it might
inspire someone to develop their own materials for their Sign Language
later...

Thank you everyone - Val ;-)

--------------------------------

From: Vinko Vuksanovic <dr_vinko at yahoo.com>
Date: Mon Apr 28, 2003  12:30:21  PM US/Pacific
To: sutton at signbank.org
Subject: Books

Dear Ms.Sutton,
My name is Vinko Vuksanovic. I am a doctor of
Radiology and I ma writing to you from what is now
known as Serbia and Monte Negro (Yugoslavia). I would
like to take this opportunity and tell you little more
about myself. I have finished my medical school in New
York. After my graduation I have moved to, what was
then known as Yugoslavia. During the NATO innervation
in Kosovo and there after I have dedicated my time and
knowledge in helping people regardless of their ethnic
background. I am also a manager of a non-governmental
organization "ETHNO-MED". We were successful in
implementing some Conflict Management, First Aid, AIDS
Awareness, Lamaz Classes for expecting mothers and few
other seminars. After having an opportunity to visit
one of the schools for children with impaired hearing
and speech I have decided to learn the sigh language.
I have tried in the last few months to get some
learning materials on sigh language but, regretfully,
I was unable to do so. I still cannot belive and
understand that with over 30 thousand needed people in
my country there is only one, very old, video
cassette. My wish is to make available to all,
especial children, some  additional learning materials
(of course translated and modified to our needs). What
I am asking from you is help, help in books, learning
materials, picture cards for younger children. This
might be an unorthodox way of asking for help but it
is the only way I know how. I will not take up any
more of you time. Upon your reply I will forward all
the neccesary information you may require (eg. UNMIK
NGO registration number, NGO address, account number,
etc). If you require a project proposal to be
forwarded to you we will be more then happy to do so.
Thank you for finding time to read this mail.
I would be very greatfull if you are in the position
to help us, and believe me, thousands of kids will be
also.
Best regards,
Vinko