FLANDERS...Question...Elbow Movement?

Wed Aug 20 15:06:15 UTC 2003

SignWriting List
August 20, 2003

Katrien Van Mulders wrote:
> My name is Katrien Van Mulders and I am a researcher of the Flemish
> Sign Language at the University of Ghent. Me and my co-worker Kristof
> De Weerdt would like to ask you two questions....1. We have some
> trouble with 'sign-writing' the sign for Scotland. In this sign only
> the elbow moves up and down (referring to the movement made by the arm
> when playing a bag-pipe) and we have no idea how we should put that
> into sign-writing. Can you help us?

Dear SW List, Katrien, Kristof, Stefan...
Thank you for this question, Katrien and Kristof, and welcome to the
SignWriting List!

There are several ways to write elbow movement hitting the side of the
body. Please see the attached diagram. Any one of the four examples are
fine, so you need to choose...Thank you, Stefan, for example number 4!!