e-mail viruses

Wed Aug 20 15:21:47 UTC 2003

SignWriting List
August 20, 2003

SW List, Daniel, Jerry...
The email-virus you describe below is exactly the kind of problem I had
for about a year...Then finally when I started to block some of the
unknown email addresses that were sending me the virus, I became lucky
and got rid of the problem. But then new viruses are written all the
time, so occasionally when it happens again, I have to go through the
same process again...And you have to be careful not to block a friend
of yours, who without knowing it, is sending you the virus...This is
not your fault, Daniel, and so your friends can only be forgiving,
since their email is doing the same thing to others, without knowing it
too...We are all in the same boat....

Fortunately, because you and I use a Macintosh, there are fewer viruses
written to hurt Macs, since most hackers want to hurt a larger group of
people, so they write most viruses for Windows...so generally Mac
people have less viruses...BUT the one area where everyone seems to get
viruses, no matter what operating system, is through email...so if you
use the Mail program on the Mac, you might train your JUNK mail to
catch any emails that you suspect hold the virus...then throw them away
without opening them...

In my case, all my email comes through a dedicated server on
DeafVision, so DeafVision has setup special blocking software for me
that really works, just as long as I keep adding the bad email
addresses...I once traced some of them...a lot of these email viruses
are coming from countries that are sad, angry, poor and hungry...I
guess it is their way of expressing their frustration...by making us
all frustrated...

Val ;-)