Abbreviations for Sign Languages...

Thu Dec 18 20:39:05 UTC 2003

SignWriting List
December 18, 2003

On Dec 18, 2003, at 12:16 PM, Katrien Van Mulders wrote:
Can someone tell me where I can find the official abbreviations given
to the world's sign languages? Thx!

Dear Katrien and List Members:
I would suggest visiting these two web pages:

Computer Code Registration for Individual Sign Languages
http://www.signwriting.org/forums/software/unicode/unicod02.html

which leads to...

The actual code number listing...go to:
http://www.evertype.com/standards/iso639/sgn.html
(scroll down the page to see the listing)

Attached is an example of the listing...notice that the blue codes are
the ones that are established, and also notice that there are several
choices...the acronym is the most commonly used, but the computer codes
are good for programming, and the SIL codes are used in linguistics
so...there are three abbreviations for each signed language, depending
on what you are doing..smile...