SignWriting and L2 literacy

Fri Dec 19 15:52:20 UTC 2003

SignWriting List
December 19, 2003

 >>Tamar Bernfeld wrote:
So...assuming students are learning SignWriting as their first written
language and are now attempting to learn to read an oral based language
(and developing some sort of phonological awareness), I feel that it
may be easier to make connections between SignWriting and a language
like Spanish versus a language like English.
Do you agree?

Dear SW List, and Tamar:
It is possible....and certainly I think the idea should be explored...I
guess it is fair to say that we do not really know, without research.

Meanwhile, since we don't have such research, I would suggest that if
you are writing about this in a paper, just say that you "feel or
suggest that this might be the case because etc etc"...and just go on
from there...suggest the hypothesis, and maybe someone can do research
on it someday...

The practical fact is, that Deaf children are required to learn the
spoken languages of the country where they are born, so very few Deaf
children have much choice in the matter anyway...Even if English is
harder for Deaf people to learn as a second language than Spanish, if
you live in the US, most deaf children will be required to learn
English the best they can anyway...so it would be rare to find a study
group of Deaf people who can choose which spoken language they learn as
their second language...I guess if they come from Spanish-speaking
homes in the US...that might be the group to study...

So why not try it with your students, to see if it seems to be
true?...And then tell us what happens...I am really interested to find
out too...

Sutton at SignWriting.org

1. SignWriting Site
http://www.SignWriting.org