Flat Hand - In-Between Palm Facings...

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Dec 25 15:22:53 UTC 2003

My personal opinion as that the multiple breakouts of the hands into 6 to 8 more palm facings is much too confusing.  They are hard to draw quickly, and very hard, personally, for me to remember.

I prefer the slashed circle I proposed earlier as with it you have even more freedom to show the V of boat, the /\ of house, or any variant of angle in between without having to memorize "okay, which part of my hand is shaded on this one".  You have back and front of hand only, and a circle to show the angle of those hands in relation to each other.  It saves time, and computer memory, just like the "body" shape that is used to show relative distance from the body but is not used unless necessary.  I'd prefer that the computer program not be more than quintupled in size to show every shade of these multiple hand shapes, which will require not simply 96 shapes in the graphics to be created, but more than 192 extra hand shadings PER hand, rather simply add two circles (left and right hand) to show the extra angle beyond simply front, back, and half-and-half.

Charles Butler, long-time user of Sign Writing.

Valerie Sutton <sutton at SIGNWRITING.ORG> wrote:
SignWriting List
December 23, 2003

IN-BETWEEN FLAT HAND continued...

The In-Between Palm facings for the Flat Hand apparently are working
for Stefan, and that is an important point, because even though they
have existed for some years, I have personally never used them...So I
want to ask all of you...take a look at Stefan's sign for Christmas,
and then look at my attempt at writing the Norwegian sign for
HOUSE...does this work for you, Ingvild? I am getting used to it (grin
;-)....I hope it works, since it would solve a lot of problems...it is
a special case...most handshapes do not need the in-betweens, like the
flat hand does...please see the attached diagram...I am interested in
your response...Val ;-)