QUESTION: right or left hands in SymbolBank?

Tue Dec 30 17:19:45 UTC 2003

SignWriting List
December 30, 2003

On Dec 26, 2003, Michael Turniansky wrote:
> Also, can you tell me if I have depicted the right or left hand for
> "Yehuda"  (expressive convention)?  I'm not sure!  I assume all the
> shapes in the symbol bank are right-handed, so this means that the
> thumb on a half-palm is the same side as it wouild be if the palm was
> facing you?

Hi Mike -
Yes...this is the right hand (see attached), however, SymbolBank does
include left handed symbols too...

The reason this one is the right hand is....pretend there were no
fingers protruding...it would be a fist seen from the side...and it
would be a right hand...then the fingers stick out...it is still the
same palm facing ...just with the fingers sticking out now...