writing circle in front of face...

Tue Dec 30 20:27:23 UTC 2003

SignWriting List
December 30, 2003

On Dec 30, 2003, at 11:54 AM, Michael Turniansky wrote:
>  Would it be okay to use #2, but move the handshape to the top of the
> head (as I have it showncurrently), since that's where the sign
> starts?
>            --Mike T.

Hello Michael -
Yes...that sounds like a good idea!  And really, your original is fine
too...It just would be read as a circle high, in front of the forehead,
instead of the whole face...and funny....if you think about it...such
detail may not matter, if people start memorizing the NameSign and
think of your child...that is all that really matters because there
will always be a slight difference in the way people produce signs, no
matter how they are written...so it is a matter of standardization and
memorization...that is how "Sign-Spellings" evolve...

But one more point..If you want to place a facial expression inside the
facial circle, you will have no choice but to move the movement symbol
or hand symbol off the face...and when you do that, people will still
know that the sign starts high on the circle...because the placement of
the arrow at the top of the circle means that the hand starts
there...so they will know it starts at the top of the circle no matter
what...So take a look at another suggestion with a facial
expression....Val ;-)