Children to children -letters?

Angus B. Grieve-Smith grvsmth at UNM.EDU
Thu Jul 3 22:09:57 UTC 2003

On Thu, 3 Jul 2003, Tini Pel wrote:

> That would be just wonderful Maria, but may I ask a favour?
> to gloss the signs. It makes it easier for the children to read ,coming
> from a different language. There is always a way to translate.

        Translating into English kind of eliminates the whole point of
SignWriting, doesn't it?

        Most overseas penpal programs either work between native speakers
of the same language (e.g. English speakers in the US and Australia) or
native speakers and non-native language learners (e.g. native English
speakers in the US learning French and native French speakers in Belgium).

        Maria, I think that for your pen-pal idea to work, you'd either
have to have ASL classes in Malta or Maltese Sign classes in the US.  I
think it'd be great for the kids at Hodgin to take classes in another sign
language, but try getting that through the educational bureaucracy...

                                        -Angus B. Grieve-Smith
                                        Linguistics Department
                                        University of New Mexico
                                        grvsmth at unm.edu