Hooked "L"

Mon Jul 14 01:28:03 UTC 2003

SignWriting List
July 13, 2003

Dear SW List  -
Thanks for this question, Stuart...Both are correc. Both have been used
and both are readable. When writing by hand, I use either one,
depending on which feels comfortable for the particular position I am
trying to write...and I never considered them different symbols, but
simply variations of each other, before we had to develop computer
programs -

So the problem is only a computer one...of course I can add more and
more variations of all of these handshapes...that is the very reason
why I am doing SymbolBank....to try to document all these
requests...but then we have another dilemma, which Antonio Carlos
brought up, while visiting here...which is that we have too many
handshapes! So I pointed out that I had always assumed that sooner or
later people would start choosing simpler symbol-sets, by reviewing all
the handshapes in SymbolBank and creating a new list of just the
handshapes they need for one signed language...

You could construct what you want, by choosing the L hand and then
adding the thumb where you want it ;-)

Val ;-)