dictionaries are vitally important

Wed Jul 16 21:24:27 UTC 2003

SignWriting List
July 16, 2003

On Wednesday, July 16, 2003, at 02:02 PM, Fernando Capovilla wrote:
> It is our experience that Brazilian deaf kids do love the SW
> dictionary. Unfortunately, the 1,200 exemplars donated to schools are
> still too few and remain locked in the closet most of the time simply
> because they are so rare (an unfair ratio: 1 thousand dictionaries / 2
> million deaf). Regards, Fernando Capovilla

What a remarkable story, Fernando! The fact that you were able to
donate 1,200 copies of two very large Encyclopedic Dictionaries to
schools in Brazil is remarkable...By the way, how are the 20 or so
smaller dictionary manuals coming? I think that is a great project,
because it brings the dictionary down to a more "everyday" level...

I just looked at what Antonio Carlos said specifically about the
SignWriter Computer Program below. It seems accurate, because so far I
have never had anyone send me a Brazilian dictionary file inside
SignWriter, in the .DIC and .DIN formats...if anyone does have a
Brazilian .dic and .din...I would love to see it and share it with
other SignWriter users -

Many blessings to you, Fernando, and please send my best wishes to your
dictionary team!

Val ;-)