Thank you for telling me you can use SignWriter Java!

Thu Jun 5 13:48:33 UTC 2003

SignWriting List
June 5th, 2003

Dear SignWriting List members, Stuart, Stefan and everyone -
THANK YOU for sharing with me about SignWriter Java. I am just stunned
and thankful that it is working for you - And I am glad I released it,
problems and all...thank goodness...because now maybe it really will
get finished!

If you knew what it was like before, you would have seen why I couldn't
release it before...For some reason, the new Java 1.4.1 release changed
everything...there were many problems that literally magically
disappeared with that new release - it makes you wonder what some of
the programming was, that made such a difference, but it made it work
generally well enough that I could release it to you...

And now look what has happened - Stefan and others now have a way to do
the better looking graphics - what a blessing!

But one thing is obvious, until the problems with the program are
fixed, and until some of the other features are built into it,
SignWriter Java cannot be used, without ALSO using SignWriter DOS.
Because right now, there is no way to change the dictionary within
SignWriter Java...you have to prepare the dictionary in SignWriter DOS
and then move it into the SignWriter Java folder to use it in
SignWriter Java, so that forces us to continue to use SignWriter DOS no
matter what...SignWriter Java is more of a "conversion" program right
now, to good graphics...but the DOS program is still our central editor
program...

Later I will post to the List, all of the design issues the way I
envisioned it working....and you will see what I am talking about
better...

And now, a side note...I live in a house along a wild canyon - that is
a deep valley with wild life, like coyotes, bob cats, big wild rabbits
that are called hares, falcons, large hawks - really wonderful! But
sometimes nature can be a little scary too...and guess what? a hive of
bees started growing in my attic...the bees came through one of the
ventilation eaves in the roof, and they were making honey in the
attic!! I then found bees swarming inside my house...this was serious
because I can die from a bee sting, and there were around 50 to 100
bees swarming, flying through the heating vents into the living
room...and dying near the window...like a bee grave - very weird...so
on Monday the bee-exterminators came and got rid of the hive in the
attic but today the exterminators are coming back to "bee-proof" my
house...this may take two days because they have to put protection on
my chimney and all around the house...they place netting on the holes
where bees could enter...bees can swarm down the chimney into the
fireplace - can you believe? This is because I am living on this wild
natural place, so I guess I have to live with nature - ha!

So it may be several days before I am back on the list - I am sorry
about that but you will hear from me again on Sunday, I hope!!

THANK YOU, once again, for trying SignWriter Java, and thank you also
to Ingvild Roald, for trying to write a European grant to find funding
for SignWriter 5.0...I hope that the European Signwriters will band
together to get the money needed to pay programmers to complete the
program....

Have a wonderful week, everyone -

Val ;-)