SW44 dictionary - need more space ;-))

Sat May 24 16:54:26 UTC 2003

SignWriting List
May 24, 2003

Stefan Woehrmann wrote:
> Well -if not I should create a second dictionary and should try to
> erase some variations that are used very seldom. Maybe I should sort
> by other criteria than letter : individual names, animals, towns,
> countries...  and others ..... ??

Dear SignWriting List Members, and Stefan:
Thank you for your question. SignWriter DOS is an old program, and it
limits all dictionary files to no more than 10,000 entries. But those
10,000 are divided into two sections, so you really do not have 10,000,
but more like the 9,000 you mentioned in your message, Stefan.

So you have reached your maximum for that one file. I will not be
updating SignWriter DOS any longer, except to add new countries
occasionally...so the 10,000 limit will remain in SignWriter DOS.

You have several opportunities:

1. Throw out duplicate entries that are exactly the same...

2. Throw out any signs that might not be German Sign Language. You may
have some American signs mixed-in your German file. If those signs are
really a part of DGS that is fine, but if they are "foreign signs",
then your students can refer to the American file for those.

3. If you have personal signs in the dictionary, you could create
another dictionary file just for those personal signs, and for name
signs, which are not really a part of a formal DGS dictionary.

4. Create a second DGS dictionary file in SignWriter DOS. Later, in
SignBank, the two files can become one huge dictionary...SignBank does
not have the same limit on size.

Editing dictionaries is a never-ending full time job!

Sutton at SignWriting.org

1. SignWritingSite
http://www.SignWriting.org
Read & Write Sign Languages