catologing

joe martin koshousc at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Nov 26 23:31:37 UTC 2003

>From another list, this post;
_______________________
Kirsten Klinghammer wrote:

At the moment this question is hypothetical, but has anyone on this list
ever cataloged an ASL video item which was not commercially published, and
didn ª²  have a label in English?  Where the title was only in ASL (at the
very beginning of the film)?  To make up an example, the video opens, TITLE
WHAT    œ‹ APPEN GALLAUDET [using name sign] TOUCH FRANCE   MEET WHO m     Or
even more trying, the name sign is one you ªÖ e never even seen before

ÿÿ f you ªÖ e ever needed to catalog something like this, how did you handle the
fact that the title wasn ª²  in English?  Or if no one has faced this before,
does anyone have a gut feeling about how to approach this question?    Would
you be inclined to use some sort of gloss (as I did above, roughly), or to
go for brackets like [When Gallaudet went to France, whom did he meet?].  Or
would you suggest a different approach?

This is mostly merely a matter of curiosity, but it came up in a discussion
I had last week with my Cataloging professor about how to catalog unlabeled
sound and visual materials which are in languages that have no written form.
  I thought I ªÝ  ask all of you experts for your thoughts, too :-)  With your
comments, I ª_ l then be as prepared as I can be if this type of cataloging
challenge should ever come up!

I ª_ l be happy to post a summary of replies for the list.

Thank you,

Kirsten

****

Kirsten Klinghammer

Sacramento Deaf Services Library Foundation

www.sacdeaflib.org

klingham at avantac.com (preferred)

kirsten_klinghammer at hotmail.com (backup)