SignWriting and SigningAvatars

Wed Oct 1 18:15:56 UTC 2003

SignWriting List
October 1, 2003

On September 29, 2003, John Edelson wrote:
I am returning to the question of building a link between SignWriting
and Vcom3D's SigningAvatars.
It would be great to have our SigningAvatars be able to import and play
SignWriting. (we can only do ASL so far - we have not yet done any
other sign languages).

A few step is to look at compatibility questions:

Has anybody ever done a comparison of the components of SigningAvatar
and SignWriting?  Specifically, the SigningAvatars have:
-  49 facial expressions (grouped as emotional, grammatical, modifying,
and speech)
-  over 2000 gestures - We are looking at how to add  inflections
-  a cosigning ability for simultaneous gestures such as role shifting
with the body position, tilting for emphasis, and using the left hand
for hold, list, and index
- a gaze track which allows an infinite number of locations for the
eyes to look and head to move

How does this compare with SignWriting?

If you want to take a look, demos are available upon request from the
vcom3d website. www.vcom3d.com
Or, if anyone wishes to pursue this as a project, they could contact
us. The first step would be a comparison of compatibility at this
level. If the basics are compatible, the software interface would be
the next step.

John Edelson
johne at vcom3d.com
www.vcom3d.com