Create JPEGs and GIFs from SW DOS...

Thu Oct 2 15:41:04 UTC 2003

SignWriting List
October 2, 2003

Nana Dumitra from the Phillipines wrote:
> if I have a file in SW DOS, how do I make it an jpg file that I can
> send it e.g. to this list?

Hello Nana, and SW List Members:
There are many ways to create GIFs or JPEGs...It all depends on what
computer you have...What operating system? And what graphics program
are you using? You can EXPORT to BMP from SignWriter DOS...OR....You
can do a screen capture...Here are instructions about screen captures,
which I personally use a lot...

INSTRUCTIONS: MAKING SCREEN CAPTURES FROM SIGNWRITER DOS

Macintosh...
Shift-Command-3...Gives you the whole screen captured as a graphics
file.
Shift-Command-4...This gives you a cross-hair kind of symbol, and then
you can box the area you want, and lift your finger from the mouse, and
it places the screen captured graphics file on your desktop to open
later.

Windows 98...
"Print Screen Key" captures the entire screen
"Alt-Print Screen Key" captures just the Window you are in.

To do a screen capture from SignWriter DOS in Windows...
Open a file in SignWriter DOS. Find the exact screen in your document,
that you wish to capture. Press alt-enter to place SignWriter "in a
window" so that you can operate upon it with the screen-capture
software built into Windows 98.

MAKING .GIF OR JPEG FILES FROM A SIGNWRITER SCREEN CAPTURE

1. Type a document in SignWriter DOS.

2. With the SignWriter file open on the screen, create a screen capture
of the sign, or signs, or the full screen.
That creates a graphics file.

3. Open the "screen capture graphics file" you just made, in Photoshop
or ANY another paint or draw program.

4. Invert the file so the background is white.

5. Convert it to a .GIF or JPEG file