About .gif and .png

Daniel Noelpp d.noelpp at GMX.CH
Sun Oct 5 15:13:21 UTC 2003

> Wonderful news that .GIF is now in the public domain. Thanks for
> telling us...So...could we build in an "Export to GIF" feature in
> SignWriter Java, Daniel?

Definitively yes! There are freeware thirdparty gif encoders for Java.
I would experiment with http://jmge.net/java/gifenc/ first.

> And thanks too, for the information about PNG....I knew there was a
> problem with some browsers, because we had some bounce from the SW
> ListServe, so perhaps when our Archives on the web tried to process the
> graphic in PNG, it couldn't because of the problems with Explorer - who
> knows? ;-)

No I think the problem lies elsewhere. Internet Explorer shows
png files very well except the transparency is not implemented
or not correctly. Microsoft has very low priorities on png support
it seems to me.

Maybe the listserver is scanning all files for viruses. Maybe there's
a problem with unknown file formats so the list server rejects
png files. But this is only an assumption, I don't know the cause.
I think we just have to accept this restriction.

Daniel