Finnish Towns

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Oct 9 19:31:59 UTC 2003

With cars running up and down hills or any other
handshape, is it not possible to start with an
orientation that IS in the system and then by arrows
show the direction of travel.  I know the diagonal for
boat and house is somewhat problematic, but we are all
creative people.

Charles

--- Valerie Sutton <Sutton at SIGNWRITING.ORG> wrote:
> [...]
> history, and in 30
> years we have accomplished more than what other
> writing systems have
> taken centuries to create...so we can give the
> software a little more
> time! The symbols exist, and the software has to
> catch up ;-)
>
> By the way, Chinese characters had trouble being
> typed in the beginning
> too...only in recent times has it become easier,
> because of Unicode and
> other developments...
>
> Val ;-)
>
> ------------------------------
>

> Nitsu Pikkupyora wrote:
> > I see your point very well. With Finnish sign
> HOUSE that's a possible
> > thing to do, but I think it still doesn't solve
> the problem. There are
> > other signs that must be distiguished... like the
> city name
> > Jyvaeskylae. It's a well-know place and the sign
> is widely used. I
> > illustrate the problem in the -ß ttachement. Even if
> we write HOUSE as
> > you suggested, in a "international" way, we still
> need to deal with
> > similar signs, which won't be understood if
> spelled incorrectly. I
> > don't mean that all the signs must be "exact", for
> example the earlier
> > mentioned Turku is no problem. But JYVAESKYLAE,
> MANNER, and some other
> > signs -˜ orm a problem.
> >

> > And here we come back again to the issue wich I
> remember
> > was -Ý iscussed -ß  long long time ago: how to -û rite a
> car traveling up or
> > down a hill...in Finnish we use the flat
> B-handshape for that...That
> > would be easily solved by using the correct
> orientation... But
> > I -ü nderstand it would get really complex to add so
> many new
> > orientations to softwares...
> >

> > Still I wonder would it be technically possibel
> some far away day to
> > have a SW-edit -kind of program, were you could
> chose to use these
> > in-between orientations... in stead of having two
> basic orientations,
> > to have six...maybe not in the basic category (
> where you chose
> > things) but any way in somewhere so that when you
> need them, -: ou can
> > use them. Because when considering the
> everyday-writing issue, it
> > would be a -( OT of trouble trying to convince the
> Finnish SignLanguage
> > users, that SW is a -± ensible way of writing SL,
> even though a very
> > important part of tha language cannot really be
> written...because cars
> > going up and down and all the hills and vallies
> are not some rare used
> > signs but belong to the core of the language...
> >

> > I don't know...  -º t's strange that a thing -± o easy
> in real world and
> > even in handSignWriting, forms a real problem when

È   >

> > >From: Valerie Sutton

> > >To: SW-L at ADMIN.HUMBERC.ON.CA
> >

> > >Subject: Re: Finnish Towns
> >

> > >Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 09:16:23 -0700
> >

> > >SignWriting List
> >

> > >October 8, 2003
> >

> > >But, Nitsu, here is my opinion -
> >

> > >I believe that writing those inbetween palm
> facings is a good idea
> >

> > >for
> >

> > >Research Use, but for Everyday Use, I would
> choose to write the
> >

> > >Finnish, Norwegian and American signs for HOUSE
> the same...YES...I

=== message truncated ===