Mess-up of the Contact Symbols in SignBank?

Daniel Noelpp d.noelpp at GMX.CH
Sat Oct 11 07:00:41 UTC 2003

Hello Valerie
Hello friends from the List

I am in the process of integrating SymbolBank data into the Java program.
As you might know I am trying to modelling the symbol set (SSS) inside
the program. This helps me to cope with multiple SSS versions.

Now I discovered something I don't understand. Please open the SymbolBank
and go to the Contact Symbols.

* Contact
** Touch-Touch
|*| Touch Between
|*|*| Touch Between Twice

These all have the same Category (02), Group (01), Symbol(001),
Variation (01) and Fill (01). They differ only in the Rotation (01, 02, 03,
04).
This looks like a mistake to me. They should differ in the Variation
not in the rotation.

Similarly for the other Contact Symbols as @ Brush and # Strike.
But there is an additional twist. Touch, Brush, Strike, Rub have all the
same Symbol (001) but differ in the Fill (01, 02, 03, 04). For me this
is a second mistake. They should differ in the Symbol, not in the Fill.

Do I have an old version of the SymbolBank 2002?
What do you think?

Daniel