Spelling rules: dominant hand is not necessarily the right hand...

Wed Oct 15 16:03:27 UTC 2003

SignWriting List
October 15, 2003

Valerie Sutton wrote:
> I wrote a booklet about that...It is not the right hand that starts a
> sign...it is the dominant hand that starts a sign... Sometimes that is
> right and sometimes that is left... I will find that document and send
> it to you...

Dear SW List Members:
Recently, someone asked me if documents could be written from the
left-handed person's perspective, and the answer is "yes"... Some Deaf
people have the left hand as the dominant hand when they are signing.
And there are some Deaf people who are both right and left handed and
they mix the dominant from left to right continually, throughout a
document...So SignWriting documents can be written in "right", "left"
or "both" dominant hands...and all is correct just as long as the
writer knows what they are doing!! ;-)

And this influences the SignSpellings too. Here is an excerpt from a
text on SignSpellings....As you can see, all signs start with the
"dominant" hand, when looking up signs in a dictionary....