SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT: Symmetry of the Circle Hand

Daniel Noelpp d.noelpp at GMX.CH
Thu Oct 16 14:32:02 UTC 2003

> SignWriting List
> October 16, 2003
>
> > Daniel Noelpp wrote:
> >> No I am talking about the O hand form....
>
> So Daniel...yes ...we could change those special cases to have a marker
> that shows palm facing better...take a look at the attached GIF...the
> two symbols circled in red are my two quick examples of two possible
> ways we could write the white circle....either add knuckles, or add
> four lines for the fingers coming into a dot in the middle...either
> marker would rotate fine and give us the information we need to see all
> palm facings...I am not saying we should do this...I am only pointing
> out that there are solutions...

I have the idea of indicating the thumb with a mark. Why? Because
the problem with the Circle Hand is only a very clear example. There
are many other symmetric symbols. Examples are: Flat Hand (01-05-007),
Middle Finger (01-08-006) no wonder that an insult makes me problems,
Thumb (01-10-001) and Fist (01-10-008), and probably others.

They are symmetric in different ways. Adding a thumb lying flat
at the hand removes the symmetry.  So for Scientific Use the
people can use the asymmetric hand forms with shown thumb
and for Everyday Use the people don't worry about symmetry
and they lose rotation information. This is not bad because
rotation is known from context.

Please have a look at the modified symbols of Circle Hand and note
where the thumb is. Isn't this neat? But it could be difficult for
other symbols.

Cheers!
Daniel