AW: AW: Symmetry of the Full Circle

Thu Oct 16 16:23:47 UTC 2003

SignWriting List
October 16, 2003

Antonio Carlos da Rocha Costa wrote:
> I humbly suggest that the symbols should be let as they are,
> until it is definitely shown that there those code redundancies really
> make impossible (or useless) any computer program based on them.
> I hope Daniel understand the real positive intention I'm putting into
> this
> message.

Dear SW List, Antonio Carlos, Daniel...
Thank you for this supportive statement, Antonio Carlos. Remember we
had the same discussion about those symbols last summer with other
programmers? I had trouble communicating that they are really working
ok...strangely enough...what seems to be a computer glitch for
programmers is actually ok for the user...So I appreciate being allowed
to use them as they are! They are working fine, and as Stefan said, the
arm line is a way to solve any problems when reading, if there are
any...(Please see attached GIF)...

And I also want to thank Daniel for the enormous effort you are making,
not only to work with old java code, but also learning SignWriting as
well...As a Deaf programmer, you will bring fresh new perspective to
programming SignWriter Java, and in time all this will work out...

There is one thing to remember when it comes to this enormous writing
system of ours...It is used differently around the world, so what works
with one sign language may not work with another...and that is why I
want to keep the programming fairly "generic" so that programs are
flexible enough, that no matter what the culture, or what the kind of
movement we are writing...dance, mime, theater, sports or signed
languages...that all movement can be written with the flexible software
we provide people...

Sutton at SignWriting.org

1. SignWriting Site
http://www.SignWriting.org