SW and bilingualism

James/Judy Shepard-Kegl kegl at MAINE.RR.COM
Mon Oct 20 20:52:18 UTC 2003

--

> ÿÿ  would really be glad to read more about your experiences in Bluefield..
> Where
> can I get some information?

Suzanne,

The problem is that there are no reports formally assessing the bilingual
program in Bluefields.  (I am planning to do one over the next few months or
years.)  There exists a substantial amount of raw data, however.  But,
consider this:  Our Spanish literacy program is divided into 5 phases.  The
first three phases cover first language communication, first language
literacy skills and basic math.  Students are exposed to some minimal
Spanish vocabulary during these early phases, but not much.  For example, a
typical school week for a young child might have two lessons of thirty
minutes each in Spanish at most.  The student does not seriously begin
Spanish until Phase Four.  The first three phases take several years.  And,
it has taken us years to develop the materials in sign language literacy.
Therefore, if you were to ask how a student is doing after the first few
years of schooling, our answer would be in terms of Spanish literacy, that
student knows nothing.  (I am reminded of an incident this year with the
mother of a 13 year old.  The girl is learning fractions and gave a 50
minute narration, in sign, of the life of Marie Antoinette -- and her mother
could not care less.  This girl managed to utter the word "sapo" (toad) and
her mother was ecstatic.)

We have been teaching Phase 4 for almost a year to the more advanced
students.  That is not a sufficient time to properly assess a program.  We
have produced two Spanish primers, plus workbooks, glossaries, crossword
puzzles, and testing material (This material relies heavily on SW).  We have
much raw data on the progress of the students so far.  I think the data is
extraordinary.  But, it is still too early to properly evaluate the program..
And, anyway, I have not had the time to prepare anything formal.

-- James Shepard-Kegl