update of SW computer info requested

Daniel Noelpp d.noelpp at GMX.CH
Sat Oct 25 11:57:35 UTC 2003

> Anyway, I do mention that SW can be handwritten or produced using
> software.
> Specifically, I wrote the following:
>
> also markets a software program, called SignWriter, that allows the writer
> to type the aspects to form any sign.  SignWriter is an MS-DOS program
> requiring 640 K bytes of memory and CGA, EGa or VGA graphics.  A hard disk
> is required to access glossary files.  The writer has the choice of
> constructing a sign by its elements (hand shape, orientation, contact,
> etc.) or by retrieving the sign from a glossary file."

I would change this very little: Please drop the "... 640 K bytes
of memory and ..." part. I started SignWriter DOS in an
configuration with less memory. I don't know how much
memory it needs. This part is very old fashioned, too. Today's
computers can have memory of more than a thousand times.
So this part will confuse people I think because they think in
megabytes instead of kilobytes.

Plus I would add this sentence: "There is additionally a Java version
of the SignWriter in development. Release is expected autumn
2004."

As for other details they seem correct for me but maybe Valerie
or other digress.

> bit of a computer illiterate.  More to the point, I wonder how accurate
> this description is today with all the high tech changes you have made.

Let's take the opportunity to tell the SignWriting list about the
development roadmap.

The SignWriter Java program is redevelopped from scratch.
The first release (but no editing, nor printing, only view texts)
is expected by Christmas. Printing should be available by spring.
With some luck autumn next year we should have a working
release.

Except I need to give up my work at SignWriter Java because
I must accept a full-time job and drop SignWriter. Now I am
jobless and the jobless insurancy in Switzerland requires me
to write applications to companies. If one of my applications
is accepted I must join the company and drop SignWriter.

If someone wants to hire me, please send me an e-mail about
the details. This would guarantee that I can continue the work
with SignWriter. I accept a lower salary because I know that the
SignWriting community has problems with funds. But I need
to finance my living in Switzerland and as everybody knows
living in Switzerland is expensive. I am sorry for pushing
my issues, but I realize that everybody should know about
these problems.

By the way for developers: There's a developer's homepage
for everyone who is interested to have a look at my development.

http://www.tiscalinet.ch/nalpdii/sw/

Daniel Noelpp