Literacy among deaf people

Tue Oct 28 23:35:10 UTC 2003

SignWriting List
October 28, 2003

Dear SW List:
How should I answer Nancy? I know nothing about literacy levels in
China or Japan! smile...

Val ;-)

----------------------

From:     Nancy Mindick <mindicna at gse.harvard.edu>
        Subject:        Literacy among deaf people
        Date:   October 28, 2003 3:28:04 PM PST
        To:       DAC at signwriting.org

Dear Ms. Sutton,

I was wondering as to whether you might possibly be able to answer (or
point me in the right direction) some questions regarding literacy for
deaf people? I understand that children in the US usually read English
up to third grade level...I would like to find out how literate Chinese
people are able to become in the Chinese language, given its more
symbolic nature. Might you know the grade level of reading skills that
Chinese (or even Japanese) deaf children would have?

In addition, I am interested in learning about Sign Writing. Are you
aware of research reports available on the internet regarding sign
writing?
Thank you,

Nancy Mindick