Dissertation on SignWriting...

Deaf Action Committee dac at SIGNWRITING.ORG
Wed Oct 29 00:39:51 UTC 2003

SignWriting List
October 28, 2003

Nancy Mindick wrote:
> In addition, I am interested in learning about Sign Writing. Are you
> aware of research reports available on the internet regarding sign
> writing?  Thank you, Nancy Mindick

There is one published dissertation specifically about Deaf children
using SignWriting. It is not about literacy levels, but instead about
how Deaf children feel about themselves and their own language, when
they learn SignWriting. It is:

"How Do Deaf and Hard of Hearing Students
Experience Learning to Write Using SignWriting,
A Way to Read and Write Signs?"

by Dr. Cecilia Flood
University of New Mexico, 2002

Download chapter three online:
Document 68
http://www.SignWriting.org/library/pdf/pdf011.html

The complete dissertation is now available from UMI Dissertation
Services too:
http://www.il.proquest.com/

But I found their ordering a little confusing so I just wrote an email
to them asking them how we can order easily?...

I already received a hardback copy...Congratulations, Cecilia!