Vector Graphics

Tue Oct 7 15:12:32 UTC 2003

SignWriting List
October 7, 2003

On October 7, 2003 Steven Aerts wrote:
> Dear List,
> A little introduction, we are two Belgian Computer Science students
> of the university of Antwerp that are going to work on a project to
> help
> construct the dutch signwriting dictionary in cooperation with the
> universities of Ghent and Brussels.  This dictionary will contain
> signwritingsymbols and must allow advanced searches.
> Currently we are investigating all possibilities.

Dear Steven, and SW List:

Welcome to the SignWriting List, Steven! Are you working with Katrien
and Kristof from the University of Ghent, in Belgium? I know they have
been working on a SignWriting dictionary for the Flemish Sign Language
for some time...Kristof downloaded a former version of SignBank. I know
this because they wrote to me to ask for the password! We have a new
version on the web for download, but it is a large file, and requires
fast internet connection at the moment...Go to:

http://www.SignBank.org/downloads

The new version, posted October 1st, 2003, includes new linguistic
fields in the SignBank Editor that make it possible to create
dictionaries that are solely in a Sign Language, with no spoken
language. It also gives the opportunity to create multilingual
dictionaries with up to seven spoken languages and multiple signed
languages...

Did you know that in SignBank, you can build dictionaries that search
and sort by SignWriting symbols? So the database that seaches and sorts
by signs is already built...I will be glad to help you, to show you how
to add the Flemish signs, to create a Flemish database...I know Kristof
is using SignWriter Java, or at least that is what I suggested to
them...

Sutton at SignWriting.org

1. SignWriting Site
http://www.SignWriting.org