[SignWriting] What? No BSL?

Sandy Fleming sandy at FLEIMIN.DEMON.CO.UK
Fri Sep 5 17:58:50 UTC 2003

Trevor wrote:

> The SW Lessons are geared to ASL, which makes it dificult for those of us
> who only know (say) BSL to understand the didactic point. Though others
> have translated the manual into the signed language of their own
> indigenous Deaf community.

That's a great idea - somewhat beyond me at the moment, however!

> For reason that might be apparent RSN I've been reading Tony Buzan's "Use
> Your Memory" in which he gives the 100 most popular words in *every*
> language that make up 50% of conversations! (He doesn't understand BSL
> because there are some English words listed for which there are no
> glosses.) Usborne publish titles like "My First N Words in X" where N=100
> or 1000 and X ranges over French, German, Japanese, Italian, Spanish.
> Looking at their word lists might suggest what the first 100 BSL signs
> should be. Or a SignWriting version of the RNId's "Start to Sign" book? If
> R Parker can produce their "Revision on ..." guides why not a beginners SW
> book?

These are all good ideas. I suppose there's a lot of worthwhile work here
for anyone who can spare the time or raise the funding!

I found some good wordlists at http://www.world-english.org/english500.htm

Sandy