virtual pc

Sat Sep 6 01:10:03 UTC 2003

SignWriting List
September 5, 2003

Dear SW List and Jerry -

I went to this web page:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/virtualpc/downloads/trial.asp

And this is what I read about using Virtual PC on Windows XP...It
appears it is designed to work on Windows XP...but it does require a
great deal of memory, and it may be that it only works on Windows XP
Professional...I couldn't find that information...This is what I found:

--------------------

Virtual PC is supported on the following host operating systems:
Microsoft Windows XP
Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 2 (SP2) or later
Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 6 (SP6) or later
You can install and run Virtual PC 5.2 on a host PC that is running any
of the operating systems in this list.

Virtual PC  5.2  is not supported on Microsoft Windows Millennium
Edition  or  Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition.

--------------------------

Content Updated: August 29, 2003
Connectix Virtual PC for Windows, now owned by Microsoft, is a powerful
software virtualization solution that allows you to run multiple
PC-based operating systems and applications on a single workstation,
resulting in reduced hardware costs and improved productivity.  The
Trial Version is a time-out, full version of the Virtual PC for Windows
product.  See the Installation Guide to find out how easy it is to
install and use Virtual PC and to take advantage of its powerful
capabilities

System Requirements
Host
Processor: Athlon ®, Duron ®, Celeron ®, Pentium ®II, Pentium III, or
Pentium 4
Processor speed: 400 MHz minimum (600 MHz recommended)
RAM: (See table....)
Available disk space: (See table below.)
Other: Level-2 cache and CD-ROM required
Version 5.2 runs on: Windows 2000 Professional, Windows XP Professional
and Home Edition, and Windows NT 4.0

To run Windows 95 as a guest OS on a Windows 2000 Pro host:
Hard disk space = 500 MB
Required RAM = 160 MB (128 MB + 32 MB)

To run both Windows 98 and Windows 2000 Pro simultaneously as guests on
a Windows XP Professional host:
Hard disk space = 2.5 GB (500 MB + 2 GB)
Required RAM = 320 MB (64 MB + 128 MB + 128 MB)

Additional memory beyond this minimum amount will usually improve
performance.