New T-Shirt From Joe Martin and Andrea Barberi!

Sandy Fleming sandy at FLEIMIN.DEMON.CO.UK
Mon Sep 8 21:55:50 UTC 2003

To be fair, Val, I don't think the star is very clear, even though it was
otiginally four-pointed and I photoshopped it to make it eight-pointed like
an asterisk! Adjusting the contrast doesn't help so I'll have to search for
some more Hubble photographs!

Of course, just the sign "deaf" isn't much to have on a teeshirt, though
sometimes I feel like getting DEAF tattooed across my forehead so that I
don't have to keep telling people! I have a little "slashed ear" badge but
nobody ever notices it!

What I'm really aiming for is putting some sentences into this "gothic" SW
and getting them printed down teeshirts, because teeshirt discussion is
quite popular, and I envisage people at the Deaf Club asking, "What's all
this then?" and I explain that it's written sign language and tell them what
it says and show them how some of it works... and who knows, maybe getting
someone interested in it!

You can explain to a signer that it's possible to write sign language, but
usually it just doesn't "click". I believe people could come to recognise
the standard symbols and yet always think about it as something they don't
do. Then one day they might see it in a different situation or a different
form, and somehow it can "click" even though it never did before.

I wonder what other "dark" graphics could be used for SW symbols... a little
galaxy for "rub"... the planet Saturn for "brush"... and so forth!

But now I'm thinking out loud...!

Sandy