AW: SW materials

Stefan Woehrmann stefanwoehrmann at GEBAERDENSCHRIFT.DE
Thu Sep 25 18:45:50 UTC 2003

Hi Nitsu,

this is an interesting question - the problem is that we need some kind of
agreement in order to count a document as "in the world"

I think that we should not count any paper, sw- file, or dictionary  with
just less than 100 signs or so ?

How many active scribes are among us ??

On the other hands - there are some documents that are most impressive. Look
at the attached gif which is a precious testimony of DEAF education in old
Egypt -
Nobody at that time had any doubt that SW is such a valuable tool to build
the bridge between hearing and deaf culture.
Thanks to a clever linguist of ancient comunication I could manage to
identify the meaning: It is  scene in a mainstream class -A deaf boy is
signing in true deaf story telling style without too many Mundbilder.  The
guy on the ground (hearing) tries to comunicate in a written form to his
deaf classmate that he is not able to understand - he explains his problem
due to his hearing status - (Hopefully he improved signing in order to
achieve an equal level compared to his handwriting skills in SW) ;-))

L.I.F.E.

Have Fun
All the best    Stefan ;-)