DOSBox and Keyboards...

Sat Sep 27 20:08:41 UTC 2003

SignWriting List
September 27, 2003

Stefan Woehrmann wrote:
> I am not able to type the backslash     [ \ ]  within the DOSBox
> programm

Dear SW List, and Stefan, Jerry, Sergio...
Is your Windows XP program running on a laptop computer, Stefan? If so,
you might try it on another computer that is running XP, and you may be
able to get the backslash...The problem, most likely, is specific to
your laptop computer keyboard, which may be limited.

For example, Ingvild Roald from Norway visited me this week, as you
know, and Ingvild's laptop didn't seem to have an Enter Key...only a
Return Key, which is slightly different when using SignBank and
FileMaker, because FileMaker differentiates between the Return Key on
the main keyboard and the Enter Key in the Numeric Key Pad...so this
meant that without the Enter Key, Ingvild could not search for signs in
SignBank 1 (in the Portal)....silly but true! So laptops are famous for
re-arranging keyboard designs....

Regarding DOSBox...if you drag and drop the SignWriter folder onto the
DOSBox icon, you do not have to use a backslash in DOS. It switches you
to the C drive without any typing...

I am really happy that we can finally run SignWriter DOS on Windows XP!