Dictionary question

Tue Sep 30 15:25:04 UTC 2003

SignWriting List
September 30, 2003

Dear SW List, Charles and Nana from the Phillipines!
Thank you for your two messages below. I am very happy, Nana, that you
are working with SignWriting in the Phillipines!

Charles gave you a very interesting idea in his message. He pointed out
that you could create a brand new dictionary file in SignWriter DOS,
naming it 063, and then blend the two spoken languages into one big
dictionary file...That could be done right now...Perhaps you have
already done this? There are two ways to do this:

1. Create a brand new dicitonary file and name it 063 or any other name
you wish, and start filling it with a mixture of languages...This is a
good way to work, since it will give you an empty dictionary file from
the beginning...

2. Create a brand new country code for the Phillipines. Do you want to
use English, while you are working with SW-DOS? There are three
English-related countries in the SW-DOS folder:

sw044....England
sw353....Ireland
sw001....USA

Someday we could create a special fingerspelling keyboard just for the
Phillipines, but at this time, we do not have that....so you will need
to decide which fingerspelling system you want for the moment...the
two-handed British, the Irish or the USA fingerspelling?

Let us imagine that you choose the USA...You need to find four files:

sw001.msg
sw001.key
sw001.dic
sw001.din

Make copies of these four files and rename them

sw063.msg
sw063.key
sw063.dic
sw063.din

Then start SignWriter DOS and change your country code to 063.

This second idea has a good side, in that you are always in one
country...but the bad side is that your dictionary file will already be
filled with 3000 American signs, and you will need to delete all of
them! smile...

I have more to tell you, about tri-lingual dictionaries, but that will
have to wait for now...I will need to know if Tagalog sorts
dictionaries in a different way, than English, because all of our
dicitonaries in SW-DOS were specially setup to sort properly, within
the language you are using...For example, just because Spain uses the
Roman alphabet, it does not sort dictionaries in the same way that
English does, so the Spanish dictionary files are setup to sort by the
world standard for Spanish...so does Tagalog sort like Spanish does,
with special sections in the dictionary for RR and LL? If so, you might
want to duplicate a Spanish speaking dictionary file instead...This can
get so complex that maybe it doesn't matter? Try one of the suggestions
above, and when you bump into a problem, we can face that at that time!

You see, SignBank does not have the problems of SW-DOS, so it all
depends on what software you choose to use, to create your
dicitonaries. The dictionary sorting problems, and the true separate
trilingual dictionary can be created in SignBank easily, once you have
typed your dictionary file in SW-DOS...

Val ;-)