SEARCHING FOR SIGNS BY HANDSHAPE

Fri Apr 2 15:16:56 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
April 2, 2004

SEARCHING FOR SIGNS BY HANDSHAPE
This already exists, both in SignBank, and also on the web with the new
Belgian dictionaries online. Right now two dictionaries are on the web,
the ASL one with 3,100 signs and the Flemish one, with over 6,000
signs...

If you have typed a LIBRAS dictionary in SignWriter DOS, in the future
you will be able to send the .dic and .din files to the Belgian
programmers, and their converter in SWML will create an online
dictionary of  the entire LIBRAS dictionary in the good-looking symbols
of SignWriter Java in a matter of minutes..and place it on the web as a
web dictionary that can be searched by handshape...at least that is the
goal...perhaps the program is not ready yet for that phase....the
program is under development.

Right now, you can search for signs by handshape on the their ASL
dictionary. Go to:

http://plantijn.ruca.ua.ac.be/~aertsbraem/ASL/visueelzoeken.php

and start searching by handshape!

Val ;-)