Questions about Palm Orientation

Fri Apr 23 19:24:03 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
April 23, 2004

Stuart Thiessen wrote:
> This reminded me of a question I wanted to ask.  How do you transcribe
> wrist flexing that moves left to right instead of up and down or
> forward
> and backwards?

Hello Everyone and Stuart!
Wrist movement is written by placing a little straight line next to the
small straight arrows. The palm facing of the hand determines how you
start. Then your hand moves in the direction of the arrows, but the
forearm remains still, and does not move with the hand...That little
straight line is like an AXIS...It establishes the forearm in space,
and it indicates that the forearm doesn't move. The movement is done in
relationship to the AXIS line.

Please see the attached diagram...Does this answer your question,
Stuart?