[sw-l] Email hidden gem

Tue Aug 3 16:37:24 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
August 3, 2004

Barbara Snyder wrote:
> As someone who is still just starting out and was wishing I could see
> English words next to the signwriting, I just discovered that if I
> hover my mouse over a symbol, the corresponding English word appears!
> What a great way to learn as you go! Interestingly (I'm using MS
> Outlook) the words appear only when the email is in one of the three
> "panes" that Outlook uses. If I open the message up fully, no words!
> Weird...

Hello Barbara and Everyone -
This is very interesting. What a great feature! And you are right that
it is weird...If that feature was commonplace in all email software, I
would teach people how to do that...But not all software has that
feature...so people experience computers very differently, depending on
their software and their operating system and the sophistication of
their computer...

In time, with funding, I hope to ask Stephen to help us make our email
in SignWriting more flexible, so the English gloss would be available
for reading in the email message if someone wanted that...but I have to
write grants now, and this idea will take time to develop...

So right now, keep using that feature, Barbara! Plus, you are welcome
to say that you cannot read something to the SignWriting List and we
will be happy to help!