[sw-l] A Sign for E-mail

Wed Aug 4 20:43:23 UTC 2004

SW-L at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
Dan Parvaz wrote:
> The Deaf -- particularly the multi-generational Deaf -- folks I know
> still
> fingerspell e-m-a-i-l. They reject the sign currently gaining ground
> as a
> hearing invention, and I can't say I disagree.
>
> In other countries i've seen some combination for 'type (as in on a
> computer)' and 'send-letter'. But this asymmetric Euro-looking sign?
> Nope.

Hello Dan, Adam and Everyone!
Thanks for this information too. Take a look at the heading in the US
SignPuddle site:

http://www.SignBank.org/signpuddle/SGN-US

Is the sign for E-mail ok with you on that page? That was the sign that
our DAC members used, when writing a SignWriting article about email in
ASL...they were native signers...on the other hand it is a long time
ago too...and I know there are many signs that change regularly...