[sw-l] FW: Deaf education

Barbara Snyder ASL at SONIC.NET
Thu Aug 26 17:23:57 UTC 2004

Hello --

I thought some of you on the SignWriting list might want to reply to Amy
directly. Her email is johansa at cc.wwu.edu.

Amy, I hope you don't mind that I'm forwarding this to the list!

-- Barbara

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-slling-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
[mailto:owner-slling-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu]On Behalf Of Amy
Johansen
Sent: Thursday, August 26, 2004 10:04 AM
To: slling-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
Subject: [slling-l] Deaf education

I am currently studying ASL and Linguistics and I am interested in going
into Deaf education.  I have learned some about signwriting, and am
curious as to how much it is currently being incorporated in the schools.
Does it look to have a successful future and become increasingly popular?
Does it express the writer's intent clearly to the reader?  From what I
understand, this form of writing has begun to be used in the classrooms of
young Deaf children to assist them in learning English.  Has this been
successful, or is it too early to know?

Thanks for your time,
Amy Johansen