[sw-l] CD's

Stephen Slevinski slevinski at SIGNWRITING.ORG
Fri Dec 3 22:30:27 UTC 2004

List,

Currently, there is no way to work offline and add to the online Sign Puddle
dictionaries.

In the near future, two ways could be possible.

1) Run Sign Puddle on your local PC, then merge your local dictionary with
the online dictionary.  This would require setting up a webserver (like
apache) with PHP on your PC. I would need to upgrade Sign Puddle to be able
to merge dictionaries.  Sign Puddle can already export the dictioanry in
SWML-S.  Importing would be more complicated, but possible.

2) Wait for Sign Text to be finished.  Sign Text will be able to run locally
on your PC without setting up a webserver.  You will be able to create
several signs in Sign Text, then save the SWML-S.  Later, go online and
upload the SWML-S into Sign Puddle.  This will also require an upgrade to
Sign Puddle to be able to merge dictionaries (or SWML-S).

The first option requires some technical know-how, but can be started
immediatedly.  Merging dictionaries will be available later.

The second option is not ready.  I hope to finish Sign Text soon.  You will
be able to create simple documents with Sign Text.  It will feature lanes
and minimal editing.

-Stephen