[sw-l] left-handed or right-handed?

Mon Dec 6 14:05:58 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
December 6, 2004

SW List, Kathleen, Kristof -
Right-handed signs and left-handed signs can both be written. Just as
we can understand a left-handed signer, when we watch the person sign,
in the same way, we can read a left-handed sign on paper too...So
reading right or left-handed signs is no different than watching a
person sign that way...

Some dictionary Editors make a policy that they only want to add
right-handed signs to the dictionary because then it is more standard
and since the majority of the world uses right-handed signs, the left
handed versions are not included in their dictionaries...

But policies are established by the Editors of different dictionaries
and I no longer worry about this issue...I personally don't care very
much about left and right handed signs...I read SignWriting for the
dominant and non-dominant hands and I don't notice if they are left or
right handed signs most of the time, just as I wouldn't if someone was
signing to me...

So dictionary policies are up to each individual Editor...our Spelling
rules have nothing to do with left or right...but they do have rules
related to dominant and non-dominant...

We can talk more about the reasons why some of your students may have
problems with reading some signs...it may be the way the signs are
written...so I would write the signs for BABY differently and I will
post that next...

Thanks for writing!

Val ;-)
Sutton at SignWriting.org