[sw-l] left-handed or right-handed?

Trevor Jenkins trevor.jenkins at SUNEIDESIS.COM
Mon Dec 6 16:19:06 UTC 2004

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004, Stephen Slevinski <slevinski at signwriting.org> wrote:

> As a programmer, I prefer right-handed signs in the dictionary.

As a computing scientist/programmer (at one time much involved in compiler
optimisers) I'd naturally normalise the dictionary so all signs were
consistently described from the same viewpoint. For me that is also
right-handed but technically I think we're really saying dominant v
non-dominant hand.

> ... If I know what to expect, I can generate a left-handed dictionary
> automatically.  I can either flip the image, or manipulate the SWML.

Maybe let the user decide which is the dominant hand (irresepetive of
right- or left-handed ness).

> ...  If something is consistent and predictable, it is easier for
> programmers to use.

We programmers are like Winnie the Pooh and bears of very little brain amd
such simplifications as storing in dominant hand style are preferred. ;-)

Regards, Trevor

<>< Re: deemed!