[sw-l] Is this Spelling Correct?

Sandy Fleming sandy at FLEIMIN.DEMON.CO.UK
Tue Dec 7 14:25:29 UTC 2004

I don't quite understand this - I thought if the orientation was parallel to
the floor, then it had to be n the floor plane, ie the fingers disjoined
from the palm. I don't see how a handshpe in the wall plane can be used to
show this. Is it because you first think of it as being placed in the wall
plane and the hand orientation is then changed as shoqn in the sign?

Probably you're right but I don't really understand it.

Sandy

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
[mailto:owner-sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu]On Behalf Of Charles Butler
Sent: 07 December 2004 13:55
To: sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
Subject: Re: [sw-l] Is this Spelling Correct?

If you use the "edge-on" hand, the thumb is on the top and can contact the
chin.

Try this!

Often, when trying to show the orientation of hand parallel to the floor and
with thumb toward the reader, this is the clearest way to show without the
thumb looking like it's on the wrong side.

Charles Butler

Sandy Fleming <sandy at FLEIMIN.DEMON.CO.UK> wrote:
Hi All!

I've added the sign "fish_2" meaning "fish as food" to the BSL dictionary:

http://signbank.org/signpuddle/sgn-GB/search.php?sign=fish&search=fish&type=
any

I'm wondering, is this spelling OK?

The thumb is touching the chin but there's no way to actually make it look
like it's touching the chin. I've simply used the "chin" symbol, and put a
contact symbol next to the thumb.

The funny thing is that I always wrote this with the hand flipped, ie the
thumb actually looking like it was touching the chin, when using
handwriting. It's only when entering it via software that I noticed that the
right hand can't have the thumb there and had to think of another (though
rather odd) way of doing it!

Is there a way of spelling it (not in receptive mode!) so that it looks like
the thumb is touching the chin?
If only we had 3D paper! :)

Sandy