[sw-l] SignWriting Handwriting and Shorthand... Brazilian example - four circles in square

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Dec 8 19:05:45 UTC 2004

Oy Marianne, Sandy, and Val,

Looks like my LIBRAS is still in my head.

I just looked at the four circles in square pattern here, and I believe it's meant to be a dog barking "woof, woof, woof, woof".  The fist hand (square) opens four times from the mouth area like a "bark".  This is one of the Brazilian signs for "dog".

The first three signs are "boy" (something) + "dog" [end of sentence] [TITLE]
Then [next sentence] "boy" "with" "dog" "running" na (in the) "wind" "cold".
[next sentence] "dog" "wants" "new" "game"

[rapaz/boy] [cachorro/dog] [vento/wind]
[frio/cold] [note this sign is facial expression away from [verde/green]. so I can't be sure of whether it's "wind - green" or "wind - cold" but likely the latter.

Marianne can help us out here.  The handwriting is actually quite clear.

Charles Butler

Sandy Fleming <sandy at FLEIMIN.DEMON.CO.UK> wrote:
That's really good, and inspiring!

I'm curious about the sign with the four small circles in a square pattern -
what movement/handshape does it represent?

Sandy