[sw-l] SignText Beta: download and dictionary import

Stephen Slevinski slevinski at SIGNWRITING.ORG
Tue Dec 14 16:28:44 UTC 2004

Hi Sandy,

Antonio Carlos originally imagined one version of SWML that everyone could
use.  Then came SWML-D for the Flemish dictionary.

Then I created SWML-S for a very simple SWML format that was easy to read
and based on the IMWA.  I wasn't concerned with backwards compatibility.
SWML-S can not work with sss-95 or sss-99.

Converting between SWML formats is not hard.  Converting between symbol sets
is hard.  SignPuddle uses sss-2004.  SW-Edit does not.  Once new application
begin to use the IMWA, conversion will become trivial.  Until them,
conversions will probably not happen.

I believe it is more important that the IMWA (sss-2004) is used as the
standard, rather than the form of the SWML.

-Stephen