[sw-l] MundbildSchrift

Tue Dec 14 16:57:21 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
December 14, 2004

Sandy, Stefan, Everyone...
Isn't this wonderful, Stefan?! Imagine that your MundbildSchrift can be
used in England!!

MundbildSchrift might be useful throughout northern Europe, for
Germanic languages, such as Dutch, Flemish, Danish, Norwegian and yes,
English from the UK too, may have some of the same mouth
movements....There may be some variations needed in each spoken
language, but I think trying Mundbildschrift in Flanders, for example,
might be quite interesting...to see if the young children there have
the same experiences that your students do in Germany...

Another idea....Maybe a SignWriting Pen Pal Club between Germany and
Flanders classrooms!!

But now, Sandy...there is a huge difference between the words
GebaerdenSchrift and MundbildSchrift...

GebaerdenSchrift means SignWriting in German. It is the literal
translation of the term SignWriting.
MundbildSchrift means Mouth Picture Writing in German....what I used to
call SpeechWriting (writing the movements of the mouth while speaking)

Not all SignWriting (GebeardenSchrift) chooses to write the movements
of the mouth in the way Mundbildschrift does...Val ;-)

Val ;-)