Logo for SignWriter

Mon Feb 9 15:37:34 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
February 9, 2004

Charles Butler wrote:
> It looks like a jack-in-the-box.  Doesn't trigger any association with
> SignWriting at all.  I know the system, so I know where you got the
> figures, but I doesn't work for me.

You know, I have been reading all these comments and I wonder...Is it
possible that hearing people read it differently than Deaf people? I
know I would never fingerspell SW to represent the computer program...I
always signed the signs for "Sign and Writer"...but I know many Deaf
people in the US create signs from fingerspelling...Fingerspelled words
become signs...so maybe the fingerspelling of SW has become a sign?
Then it would start to connect for us, if we thought of the name of the
computer program as SW...rather than SignWriter...

Funny, you would think that hearing people could read fingerspelling
easily, but strangely enough, fingerspelling is my weakness, when I am
in conversations...I can fingerspell myself, but I have trouble reading
the fast fingerspelling in an ASL conversation...