Need Help From an ASL signer on the List...

Wed Feb 25 01:25:28 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
February 24, 2004

On Feb 24, 2004, at 3:47 PM, Tini Pel wrote:
> Birthday for you happy
> Birthday for you happy
> Birthday  you dear...........
> Birthday for you happy.
>
> Just a try,probably wrong, I'll hear about it I hope
> Tini.

------------------

Dear SW List and Tini!
Ha! Thanks for this suggestion, Tini...You and I are both hearing
people, and I am not native to ASL, so I hope a person who grew up with
ASL will answer this too...

But following your gloss above, Tini, I would not know how to write it
in SignWriting. Which of the four signs for birthday would you choose?
smile....and are you going to write pauses?...Usually in ASL there is a
feeling to sections of sentences that require the writing of a short
pause, or comma....I can show you later...I would think there would be
a couple probably, but without seeing it signed, I would be afraid to
write it...

And how would you sign "DEAR"?....People told me in the past that ASL
doesn't really have a sign for DEAR...using LOVE is a hearing person's
interpretation...

So now, I hope someone will post some SignWriting in ASL and give us an
ASL grammar lesson - we can use it!

Val ;-)