SignWriting Report, January 2004, Part 1

Mon Jan 5 15:44:16 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
January 5, 2004

Dear SignWriting List Members:
I hope you all enjoyed your New Years! I am in the process of writing a
Year-End Report, so I will post it in three parts....Val ;-)

SIGNWRITING REPORT, PART ONE
In the past, three SignWriting symbolsets developed, for three
different computer programs...

1. SSS-1995 ....SignWriter DOS 4.4
2. SSS-1999 ....SignWriter Java 5.0
3. SSS-2002.....SignBank 2002

As long as SignWriter DOS and SignWriter Java are being used around the
world, the SSS-1995 and SSS-1999 symbolsets will be in use. However,
the SSS-2002 will be replaced, in 2004, with these two new ones:

4. SSS-2004.....SignBank For Research Use...(similar to the
International Phonetic Alphabet - very detailed)

plus our first "country-specific" symbol-set:

5. SSS-US.........SignBank For Everyday Use...(symbols needed to write
American Sign Language (ASL) only - as simple as possible)

So in 2004, like Ying-Yang, or a see-saw, I will be working with two
extremes...the most detailed and the most simplified symbolsets
possible...I am hoping this will lead to a very useful writing system,
that gives everyone what they need...

I believe it will take the whole year of 2004 to stabalize the SSS-2004
and SSS-US. So most of my time, in 2004, will be dedicated to this
goal.

Later, together as a team, we can also start developing simplified
symbolsets for other countries too. When available, those will be
named:

SSS-NO......Norwegian Sign Language
SSS-DE......German Sign Language
SSS-BR......Brazilian Sign Language
SSS-BEfl....Flemish Sign Language
SSS-CHde..Swiss German Sign Language
SSS-CHfr...Swiss French Sign Language
SSS-NI......Nicaraguan Sign Language
SSS-CO......Colombian Sign Language
SSS-DK......Danish Sign Language

So in the future, there will be several "country-specific"
SignBanks....Most of the symbols will be the same for all countries,
but just like in spoken languages, each signed language will also have
some differences...

More soon...

Sutton at SignWriting.org

1. SignWriting Site