AW: Improving palm facing for plain square symbol....

Tue Jan 6 16:20:26 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
January 6, 2003

Dear SignWriting List, and Stefan!
Yes...I agree. I am not going to ask everyone to change their writing.
And I would not teach a Deaf child that detail myself. It is exactly
like the diagonal line that a lot of computers place inside the number
zero...I would never write a line through a zero personally, but
computers do that a lot...I believe it is connected with sorting
routines inside computers...the only way the computer could know that
the zero and the letter o are not the same symbol, was to make them
look different etc...so that is the same problem..programmers have
complained to me that it is hard to program with a symbol that is not
clear...so I have to figure out a way for the computer to differentiate
between the white square for the right hand and the white square for
the left hand...but when we write, we don't have to do that...so go
right ahead and use the symbol as you always have...I plan to too!

And the arm line is a wonderful tool to use...go right ahead! I wish we
could add an arm line to every plain square in the computer, but then
some signs would not convert from one computer program to the
other...that is a long detailed story and there is no reason for you to
think about this again....

There are several other symbols that have the same problem...one of
them is the plain white and black circle for the O Hand...so if you see
a computer marker on some of those symbols when you are trying to place
signs in SSS in SignBank, don't let it bother you...They are there just
to help you temporarily, so you know which palm facing you typed...so
the dictionary will sort properly...

Such is life with computers!

Thanks for your input, Stefan! I appreciate it -

Val ;-)