BBC search for Deaf signing families

Fri Jan 23 15:36:53 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
January 23, 2004

Dear SW List:
Perhaps some of you would be interested in this....Contact Kirsteen
directly, if you wish to be interviewed...Val ;-)

-------------

FROM: kirsteen.knight at bbc.co.uk
SUBJECT: BBC search for Deaf signing families
DATE: January 23, 2004

Hi, I hope you don't mind me sending you this as I'm trying to spread
this email as far out as I can within the Deaf community. Apologies if
someone has already cross posted this to you.

I work for the BBC and they are thinking of making a programme about a
Deaf signing family and I'm doing some early research to find people
who might be willing to talk to me.

Here is some blurb on what I'm looking for.
Best wishes,
Kirsteen.
020 8752 6844
P.S – I’ve also attached the poster I’ve been sending out.

The BBC is making a documentary series about the diversity of family
life.

We hope that one of the films will be about a Deaf signing family. Many
hearing people are unaware that there is such a thing as Deaf culture
or the Deaf community. This hour long programme would give an
opportunity for people to tell their family story from a Deaf
perspective and would focus on family life and the issues that are
important to Deaf families.

We are interested in contacting families who may be able to help us
with our initial research and would be particularly keen to contact
people who have experience in the following areas:

Deaf parents who have both deaf and hearing children. l. Deaf parents
who are in the process of choosing what school to send their children
to.

You can contact me via email at Kirsteen.knight at bbc.co.uk or minicom on
020 8752 6844